Monday, February 13, 2017

Love Love Love (Part III)

After that month was up, I was supposed to go to a charity ball with him Valentine's Day weekend. We decided to have "the talk" in person. Valentine's Day morning he calls me and asks, "what're you doing?" I said, "I just got home and I am about to jump in the shower." He said , "okay when you get clothes on go look outside your door." So instead of showering I threw clothes on and found my favorite flowers waiting outside the door in a vase. I looked all around and didn't see him, so I assumed he had a friend drop them off. I called him and thanked him... The whole time he was watching from a rental car! After I showered he knocked on the door. I about peed my pants. Alfred surprising me became a very common thing when we were dating. He popped up at any moment at any time. One time I was talking to him and I said, "stay on the phone, someone is knocking at the door." It was him at the door! 

So Valentine's Day we went to a movie and the next morning he picked me up to take me to the airport with him to catch our flight to VA! The ball went great, but we hadn't had "the talk" yet. I was nervous. I was worried I had gotten a yes and he had gotten a no. That Sunday morning prior to my flight leaving he asked me, "Do you want to do this journey called life with me?"

Side note: That question was apparently him making things officially official, which I found out about two weeks later. He had sent me a screen shot of him telling a friend we were official and I definitely went with it haha!

So that was it for us. He spent the rest of that off season in Boca, staying with our pastor so we could be closer and begin our dating life. He flew south for as many weekends as he could. That summer was one big adventure for us, and truthfully that adventure has never stopped. Right before the summer semester started we did a road trip from VA to visit his (and now my) brother and sister in law in South Carolina.



As soon as minicamp was over and his summer break started we did a quick trip to Colorado for the fourth of July. That is still one of my favorite trips to date. We stayed with family friends of mine and went hiking, off-roading and watched fireworks from the roof. Then we drove to Denver to attend our very first wedding together. The next summer we returned to the same tiny town to elope in the mountains.



Time escaped us that summer, and before we knew it his training camp started and the start of mine followed just a few days later. Finally my senior year had begun! For the next three months we wouldn't get to see each other. As soon as my season ended, the frequent flyer miles started racking up for me. As fall faded away he would often send me pictures of engagement rings asking me what I thought of certain shapes and styles and sizes. His intentions were very clear from the beginning but I figured it would happen sometime in the spring.

He made it to the pro bowl and asked me to go to Hawaii with him for it. I had an internship my senior spring and couldn't miss out on the days so I've still yet to make it to Hawaii. We had a trip to Ireland planned for my spring break so I couldn't really complain! With the Ireland trip approaching a lot of people were guessing he might propose there. I should throw in that I finally began publicly claiming Alfred at this point.. as more than just my best friend lol. He was a little bit more but whatever. :)

In regular Fredo fashion, he did not propose on valentines day or on our Ireland trip. He proposed three days after valentines day, in my apartment after reading a parable about treasure and further explained the meaning. I picked out my dress two weeks later right after our trip to Ireland.



We knew we did not want the stress of a wedding and wanted to get married before the season started so we found photographers back in that tiny mountain town in Colorado and booked everything. I graduated from college May 1st. Little did I know, that one year and two days later we would have our first born. We got married early June, just the two of us together and exactly how we dreamed it would be.



Morals of the story:
Never settle, because God's greatest and best for you is worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment